Boroughpress' Book A Day

Over the month of February @boroughpress has unleashed the following questions to its followers.
I happened upon this little questionnaire on twitter. 
As usual, I am late to the party and am joining when it's about to finish.
So for today's book tag, let's try and answer them!

Join the fun on twitter with today's last question on:
@boroughpress
@harpercollinsuk




































When you still have a lifetime of reading ahead of you, it's sometimes very hard to pin a book or a character as 'your favourite'. It goes without saying that all these answers are still subject of change throughout my years of reading. But for now, as I answer them today, these are my answers.

1. A book that defined my teenage years
Definitely Harry Potter.
Like many people of my generation (and before and after mine), I have grown up with Harry Potter. I read them over and over again, waited for the movies to come out.
Asked for the newest released book every Christmas or birthday.
It was a world I loved to live in.

2. I'd like to know what @MarylineVP's favourite book is #PassTheBook

3. My favourite character's favourite song would be
Magnus Bane's theme song would be...I'm too sexy by Right Said Fred

4. Matchmaking: these two characters should get together
Sam and Kent in Before I fall by Lauren Oliver

5.The author I would love to meet (living or dead)
J.K. Rowling

6. And the question I would ask them is
Will you be my friend?

7. My favourite opening line
Can't quite quote it as I have currently given the book to a friend but:
The start of Before I fall by Lauren Oliver.

8. Bought entirely for its cover
These Broken Stars by Annie Kaufman, Meagan Spooner.
This book always pulled me attention when I saw it on bookshelves. It's just so beautiful!

9. The book that has always stayed with me
Dapper zijn, hoe doe je dat? by Annelies Tock
This is a book I got given by my school at the end of the year around the age of 8-9.
I absolutely adored it and it always stayed with me. I often think back to that book as I think it's responsible for sparking my love for reading.
It's such a simple story but has such a strong influence on young readers.

10. A great book to read aloud
If read in the right way, any book is great to be read aloud
However, children's books with funny rhymes seemed to serve this purpose best.
My mind immediately goes to The Dinosaur that Pooped Christmas.
Dr. Seuss' books make a great read too.

11. These two characters should not have got together
Sarah Sargeant and James in 50 ways to find a lover by Lucy-Anne Holmes

12. Feelgood read
50 ways to find a lover by Lucy-Anne Holmes
This book has had me laughing out loud every time.
It's a charming read and will never fails to make me giggle.

13. This book is precious to me because
Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare.
Halfway this book, I broke down in tears and didn't stop until the end.

14. The book that reminds me of an ex
Can't think of anything.

15. Book set in the place you're from
From all the books I've read (and I read mainly in English), so far none have been placed in Belgium...

16.  Favourite book in translation
As mentioned, I mainly read books written in English since a few years. The pile of owned/read books in English is significantly bigger than my (translated in) Dutch books.
However, I read the translated version of This Is All by Aidan Chambers and really liked it.

17. Book you were wrong about
Penelope by Rebecca Harrington.
I had a different expectation about this book. I was disappointed quite quickly the moment I realised this book wasn't what I thought it to be and it never really managed to turn it around again.
I thought this book was going to be a great read. Warm and funny and familiar.
Instead I got frustrated about the main character, annoyed about her indifference and was constantly waiting for what I was promised by the blurb.

18. Book you read after seeing the film
More like 'Book I will read after seeing the film'.
The Hunger Games, I have not yet gotten around to them.

19. Favourite book about music
McFly: Unsaid Things...Our story
A biograpy written about my favourite band by my favourite band.
It's not about music in the strict defintion of the word but it gives an incredibly honest insight in these four musicians' lifes.

20. Slept with the lights on after reading
Nothing as of yet.

21. Brings back good memories
It must be the Harry Potter books again.
What else.

22. Glad you took a chance on
The Host by Stephenie Meyer.
People had so many different opinions about this book. I remember the first time that I read the first page. I was 14-15 I think....the text on the page didn't make sense and confused me. I put it back. Only a year later around the age of 16, I gave it another try and I'm so glad I did.

23. Favourite book published in your lifetime
Me Before You by Jojo Moyes.
Hands down, this book is beautiful. It is hard to put into words what emotions this book causes you to feel. I recommend this book to everyone, I want all my friends to read it.

24. Character you'd least like to turn up on a blind date
Death.
The Book thief by Markus Zusak
However, if it was for just a conversation, I actually think he'd make quite an interesting person to talk to...

25. Book you would give to a lover
Me Before you because I need the entire world to read it!

26. A book you'd love to discuss with your favourite author
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.
There's just so much to talk about.

27. Longest owned unread
The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman

28. Book to convert a non-reader
Pfew, that really depends on the person and what genre they like.
I couldn't say. It's too complex of a decision to make because people are so different.
Ideally it'd be a book that's not too big so that the size wouldn't put them off but is interesting and quirky, has a twist and pulls you in.

Comments