Me Before After You

What's your favourite book?

A question many book lovers will hate being asked because it is never a straightforward answer.
Not really.

That one was brilliantly written!
That one was part of my childhood!
That one reduced me to tears!
That one is my all time favourite series!
...
It's every book lover's Sophie's choice. Pick one and you'll immediately want to change your mind over and over again, feeling guilty for only picking a certain book.

Having said that, there are a few books I will always think of when people ask me to recommend them something. Ones that I have screamed about to other people, ordering them to read it immediately!

One of those books is Me Before You.
And, boy, have I screamed to other people to read this one.

In case you haven't heard of Me Before You...
(just kidding, kind of...)

I'll quickly give you the synopsis that's on Goodreads (because once I start, there's no stopping me).





Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick.

What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane.

Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that.

What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time.



I'll try not to spoil this book, but what I do know is that no one has kept it dry whilst reading this.
Including myself! I rarely cry when I read sad books but this one...? Oh deary me, never before has a book shattered me as much as Me Before You has. I was a teary eyed mess and sobbing like a big baby.



Even thinking/talking about it or seeing someone else get emotional over it, gets me going again. It is just such a beautiful story that every time I think of it those raw emotions punch me right back in the face.


These two characters started meaning so much to me. Their relationship absolutely beautiful. And Will, Oh Will. He stole my heart. God knows that I have a weakness for tormented, male protagonists (in fictional life at least). And I have an entire collection of tormented, male protagonists called Will. Will Traynor being no exception.



It was clear from the beginning that MBY was a standalone novel and that even though the ending couldn't have been more perfect, you want more. You need more. Just because you know you'll miss those characters and their connection and everything about it. So, when I found out there was a movie adaption being made, I immediately skipped all the feelings of reservation and straight dived into excitement!



I generally don't have any problems with books being turned into movies (even when they're bad adaptions, because to me they're two different things - but that's a whole other discussion post). Yes, I'm always a little scared they might ruin the book but in general the movies are always good, even if they may not entirely have been according to the book.

But as if that wasn't enough! Not only did I hear about a movie being made, but shortly after Jojo Moyes announced that there was going to be a sequel to MBY: After you.


I was over the moon! I couldn't believe it! I was so excited about this! I still am! I am so excited in fact that I pre-ordered both hardback and paperback copy of this book. THAT is how excited I am. I literally have never done that before (however, now I feel very inclined on having to buy a hardback copy of MBY too!). I understand that people are scared about how this book will turn out. What Jojo Moyes will do with this story line and her characters. I have read about a lot of fear from readers that she will ruin MBY with After You and I can't imagine the pressure that must be on her.


However, I am convinced that there wouldn't be a sequel unless Jojo Moyes was absolutely, 100% sure that this was a book worth of following MBY.
If you are curious too and have been living under a rock for the last few weeks then rejoice and celebrate because After You is out in less than a month (September 29) and you can pre-order it about anywhere because it is THAT awesome ;)

If you're like me and have been waiting since the dawn of time ever since you found out, our patience has been rewarded with a little teaser chapter. That's right, you heard it correctly! The first chapter of After You has been sent out into the world and you can read it here: https://t.co/YtuexDV2Mm

I did so and part of me immediately regretted it because there was no second, third, fourth, fifth... chapter to follow it and I actually really really really needed it!


I'm so excited and I am just:



Mark it in your calendars: September 29



A NOTE FROM JOJO MOYES ABOUT HER EXCITING NEW NOVEL, AFTER YOU:

Dear Reader,

I wasn't going to write a sequel to Me Before You. But for years, readers kept asking and I kept wondering what Lou did with her life. In the end the idea came, as they sometimes do, at 5:30 in the morning, leaving me sitting bolt upright in my bed and scrambling for my pen.

It has been such a pleasure revisiting Lou and her family, and the Traynors, and confronting them with a whole new set of issues. As ever, they have made me laugh, and cry. I hope readers feel the same way at meeting them—especially Lou—again. And I'm hoping that those who love Will will find plenty to enjoy.

—Jojo Moyes


Comments