Battle of the Book Formats




Hellooooooooooooooo,
today we are discussing book formats and which positives and negatives I have experienced while using them. I'm very interested to hear what your experiences are with using the different types of book formats and which one you prefer.

Here are some of mine!



Positives


Paperback
Hardback
E-book
Light
Sturdy
Light (cfr. device)
Cheaper
Endurance
Cheapest
Size
2 covers
Size (cfr. device)
Biggest offer in shops
Same sizes
Endless amount of books


Negatives

Paperback
Hardback
E-book
Gets damaged easily
Heavy + BIG
Screen tires eyes
Spines that break
Expensive
People are prejudiced
Different sizes
Dust jacket
Not a physical copy L

Destructs EVERYTHING else



To summarize:

Where PB books are light and relatively cheap and are now the main format you'll find in bookstores, they do come in several sizes. In general I don't mind having different sized books but it's when it comes to putting them on your shelves that the difference in size can cause for a lot of frustration.

Having said that, the sizes of these paperback are usually pocket size and can easily be carried in a purse/handbag. Sadly enough that does mean that there's chances of your book being damaged.

HB books offer almost the exact opposite of what PB books give you. They might more expensive and (a lot) bigger, they also are incredibly sturdy and you can be sure that they'll remain intact no matter how often you'll carry them in your bag (which can not be said about your bag). Just be prepared for the undeniable fact that you'll be buying new handbags every month, 'cause HB are without mercy when it comes to any bag they come across.
The HB might be bigger in size than the PB ones but at least they are almost all the same size, meaning that they look so incredibly pretty on the shelves! AND! Sometimes you can be really lucky, when your HB has a secondary cover underneath the dustjacket!
BUT THAT DOES NOT MAKE UP FOR THE EXISTANCE OF THE DUST JACKET!!
(I have a serious dislike for them)

When it comes to EB, I'm only just discovering that world. Since joining Netgalley, I have been reading much more e-books than I ever have and there's a lot of things to like about digital reading. The fact that depending on your device, it's light and small, meaning that no matter how many books you have on there (and the amount is endless), the weight will remain the same, making it the ideal companion to take with you on holiday.
EB also offer a lot of new and aspiring authors the possibility to publish even without going through publishing houses as opening up an entire new market for publishers. At the same time EB are one of the cheapest books you can get your hands on and very often you'll find one for free.
I was always a bit so so when it came to digital reading but it's starting to grow on me. However, reading on a device (in my case) tires my eyes way faster. And I have noticed that if I'm using my kindle app on my phone, while travelling etc., people give me judging looks, or even remark that I am being a technology junkie/unsocial teenager who is obsessed with their mobile phone.
In the past months that I started reading more EBs, have shown my prior reservations to be wrong. I actually do enjoy reading on my devices, especially now that I have a proper tablet to read on. But there's one thing, one negative, that (in my opinion) makes all the positives stand void. EB aren't real, physical copies. And we all know as book bloggers/lovers, that nothing beats the feeling of having your favourite book stand proudly on your book shelf.


What about audiobooks?
I did not include audiobooks in this post mainly because I have no experience with them. I have never bought an audiobook before but I think in a way they share a few positives/negatives with e-books.
For me personally, audiobooks wouldn't work. I know I'll end up multitasking and not fully listening to the book, meaning I'd end up being clueless of what it was about.





Comments

  1. When I take a book with me, I always put it in a little paper bag within my purse/backpack, so it doesn’t get damaged. Or in case of hardback books: so they don’t damage the other stuff in my bag as much. I’ve been thinking about buying a little pouch to put them in, cause I think it might be more effective than a paper bag.
    I always take of the dust jackets when I’m reading a book, cause they’re just in the way and they’ll get damaged and it’s annoying. But since they do look pretty, I’ll put them back on once I’ve finished reading the book and put it back on my shelf.
    Another thing about hardcovers, I have about 2 or 3 different sizes, which somehow annoys me slightly more than all different sized paperbacks.
    I don’t have that much experience with ebooks, but I think an e-ink e-reader (which doesn’t have the bright backlight that phones and regular tablets have) might put less strain on your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I have a few different sized HB too but usually not within the same series? Whereas with paperback (especially TMI and TID) there's so many different sizes that it's driving me nuts!

      I'm already struggling a lot with getting my book in my bag sometimes, but maybe I should find a sleeve or pouch or something?
      Heeeeeeeeeey, wouldn't that be a brilliant new thing to put on the market? :P

      I got a tablet now and it is already less straining for my eyes but still not the same as a proper e-reader, I guess!

      Delete
    2. Oh like that, yes within a series my hardbacks are always the same height.
      I saw some really nice pouches on redbubble, although you'd have to get the bigger one to make sure all kinds of books fit.

      Delete
    3. yeah, it's a nice idea but sadly you would need either the biggest size of different sizes of protective covers.
      WHY CAN'T BOOKS ALL BE THE SAME SIZE!
      But even then, it all depends on page amount

      Delete

Post a Comment