Guest Post: Jackie Kabler: My Writing Room

Today is a wonderful day for a guest post! The first guest post on my blog! And I'm incredibly excited to have Jackie Kabler over for a little chat about her writing place!


My Writing Room
When I first started my novel, it became important to me to have a special space to write in. I can write anywhere when I'm in the mood...on trains, aeroplanes, hotel rooms, on holiday. But at home, I can only really write in what has become my writing room/dressing room. It's the smallest bedroom in our Gloucestershire home, and when we moved in a few years ago I had it converted into essentially a big walk-in wardrobe, with hanging space and shelves for my rather extensive shoe, handbag and clothing collection. But I had the foresight to leave one wall blank, with room for a desk. This little spot has become the place I wrote virtually all of The Dead Dog Day, my debut novel.

It's a white, IKEA desk, slightly stained with nail varnish, but otherwise very neat indeed. One end has some stacked boxes of make-up and hair products, but the rest is devoted to writing. There's my laptop of course, and a little box of white cards where I note the key events in each chapter as I write it, to help me keep track of the story line. There's also my old contacts book from my GMTV years, which helps me remember news stories I worked on which might make it into my novel at some point. Then there's my pride and joy, my framed dinosaur tooth (yes, really!) which was a present from my husband for our 20th wedding anniversary. I'm convinced it's lucky, because the day it arrived was the same day I started getting offers from publishing companies for my book. On the wall behind the desk there's a pin board where I keep note of all my characters' personal features, so I don't suddenly change somebody's eyes from brown to blue halfway through the book. And that's it, all neat and organised and ready to write. Ready that is, until the procrastination starts, but that's another story...

* * *



Jackie Kabler worked as a newspaper reporter and then in television news for twenty years, including nearly a decade on GMTV. She later appeared on BBC and ITV news, presented a property show for Sky, hosted sports shows on Setanta Sports News and worked as a media trainer for the Armed Forces. She is now a presenter on shopping channel QVC and her first novel, The Dead Dog Day, is now available for pre-order on Amazon ahead of its release on 22nd October.

Find Jackie on Facebook - www.facebook.com/jackiekablerauthor
And on Twitter - @jackiekabler
And on her website - www.jackiekabler.com




The Dead Dog Day (Source: Goodreads)


When your Monday morning begins with a dead dog and ends with a dead boss, you know it’s going to be one of those days. And breakfast TV reporter Cora Baxter has already had the weekend from hell, after the man she’d planned a fabulous future with unceremoniously dumped her. 

Now Cora’s much-hated boss has been murdered – the list of suspects isn’t exactly short, but as the enquiry continues the trail leads frighteningly close to home. Why is Cora’s rival, glamorous, bitchy newsreader Alice Lomas, so devastated by their boss’s death? What dark secrets are Cora’s camera crew hiding? And why has her now ex-boyfriend vanished? 

The race to stop the killer striking again is on…
Amazon link

Comments