Book Review: Bella's Christmas Bake Off

3 Christmas baubles for Bella's Christmas Bake Off by Sue Watson
Bella Bradley is the queen of television baking – a national treasure. Her Christmas specials have been topping the ratings for years and her marriage to Peter ‘Silver Fox’ Bradley is the stuff of Hello magazine specials.  
But this year things are going to be different.  
For Amy Lane, Bella’s best friend from school, life hasn’t held quite the same sparkle. And when Amy’s husband walks out three weeks from Christmas, it seems their lives are further apart than ever.  
Amy has watched Bella’s rise to fame fondly, despite the fact Bella was always a terrible cook. But when she realises that Bella’s latest Christmas book is made up entirely of Amy’s mother’s recipes, the gloves are off…  
After winning a competition to appear on Bella’s TV show, Amy is going to make sure that for Bella and her viewers, this will definitely be a Christmas to remember…  
A hilarious, heart-breaking and feel good read about best friends, baking and the magic of ChristmasSource: Goodreads

I was kindly given a copy through Netgalley, with many thanks to the author and publisher.

Bella's Christmas Bake Off is about two old friend reuniting after Amy found out that Bella has been using some of their childhood memories for her own benefit, she finds a way to reconnect with Bella to set things right. The two woman won't realise how much they have in common with each other until they finally are honest with each other again.
Can Christmas heal old wounds and cause the bond between these two people to grow again?

This story has some really strong and very Christmassy topics which it creates a story around. Over all I enjoyed reading this book but I did struggle to feel the Christmas spirit. Not that I expect every Christmas book to overload me with the need of drinking hot chocolate, putting the tree up begin November and start baking mince pies (or maybe I do want a book to do that to me...., let's be honest). But with a cover and a title like this, I expected to be overwhelmed by the Christmas soul and spirit, which I felt wasn't as much. And again, I'm not saying that's a band thing, I think I had some different expectations about this book.
However Amy and Bella have a nice relationship and I liked the characters throughout the story.

Personally I found it quite predictable and there was no surprise element to it as I managed to predict most 'plot twists' pages before it got revealed. As a reader I still like to be surprised by the unexpected revelation or twist and I felt like this lacked a little bit.

A Christmas story about friendship, family and appreciating good food.

Comments