Book review: We Were on a Break

6/10 for We Were on a Break by Lindsey Kelk

Is it a break? Or is it a blip? 'You've just had a holiday,' I pointed out, trying not to yawn. 'Wasn't that enough of a break?' 'I don't mean that kind of break.' There's nothing worse than the last day of holiday. Oh wait, there is. When what should have been a proposal turns into a break, Liv and Adam find themselves on opposite sides of the life they had mapped out. Friends and family all think they're crazy; Liv throws herself into work - animals are so much simpler than humans - and Adam tries to get himself out of the hole he's dug. But as the short break becomes a chasm, can they find a way back to each other? Most importantly, do they want to?
Source: goodreads 


Over the years Lindsey Kelk has graced us with some brilliant stories and smashing, laugh out loud tales. So when I heard about We Were on a Break, the title in itself being genius, I was itching to get my hands on it!!

We meet with Liv and Adam. A story told through both their eyes.
Liv is on edge as she knows that her longterm boyfriend is about to propose to her on their Mexican getaway. But when things don't go as planned everything else also seems to topple down too and before either of them really know what happened they are on a break.
Only, if they thought the break would slow things down a little and allow them to assess things peacefully and quietly then they were wrong.

Not only is Adam under immense pressure with a new job he's acquired, he's also in constant battle to keep his brother and his entire family happy. Adding the fact that this new job also introduces him to another woman. A super model lookalike who's shamelessly flirting with him.
Adam, already confused about the entire situation, feels drawn to this beautiful newcomer and all of a sudden life doesn't seem so black and white anymore.

Liv on the other hand is blown away by all that is happening in her life. Now that her dad has thrown her a surprise, she feels like everyone else has decided how her life should go. Struggling to make sense of everything and feeling the pressure of everyone else's expectations, she feels like it's too much. When on top of that she spots Adam with a woman that looks like a Victoria Secrets' model everything goes slightly haywire.

Can these two find their way back to each other even when it seems that there were more issues than they both knew? And if they can, is it still worth salvaging in the first place?


I've been a fan of Lindsey Kelk for years. She had made me laugh and snort out loud on many occasions and had me yelling at her characters more than I'd like to admit.
We Were on a Break, as brilliant as the title may sound, lacked a little of that magic for me. I didn't get that typical feeling when reading a Kelk book. Usually I'm hooked from beginning to end and feel as if the characters are part of my own friend group/family. This time the story left me a little indifferent to the characters and the plot. It's made this story fall a little flat.

I also think I would've liked it with a different sort of ending (no spoilers, promised). I felt it was a little rushed, maybe even misplaced, but this ending just didn't sit right with me. I didn't feel like the issues had been resolved but more brushed under the carpet.
But most of all, I missed the suspense of wanting to find out what'd happen next. The heat, the chemistry, the things that get me hooked. And most of all: the laughter.

It was okay but I wish it had been so much more!

 

Comments