Flash Review: The Miniaturist

7/10 for The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton



The Miniaturist was not what I had expected but it managed to intrigue me until the last page.
It definitely took me a while to get into the setting, language use, characters and their chemistry. Especially with the first 1/3 of the book being a lot of scenery building and creating/explaining the world we found ourselves in. It soon picked up its pace and once I felt acquainted enough I could finally enjoy the plot of the story.
However, I'm a bit dubious because even though I liked it I'm not entirely sure what it was that made me continue as I definitely had a few issues with this.
1) All characters were relatively annoying.
2) I had expected the miniaturist to play a much bigger role.
3) A lot of this was quite predictable.
4) I had a few moments when I wanted to put it back on the shelve.

And still Jessie Burton has mastered in making this old world feel that little bit more familiar and touch upon different topics that are now (in some cultures or parts of the world) still as taboo as they were back then in old Amsterdam.

All in all the story is full with riddle, scandal and the consequences of ones actions. In a world where money gives power but the will of God is still the master of all.

Comments